Church History

1880 – Rev. Juan Manuel De la Vina, a Methodist Circuit rider who traveled by horseback along the Rio Grande establishing mission churches on both sides of the US and Mexican border, began meeting with his family and friends for worship on November 11, 1880 at Rancho Vina near El Capote.

1908 – The small fifteen member Methodist congregation moved from Rancho Vina to Hidalgo, Texas and moved again to Chapin (now Edinburg), Texas in 1908 where they continued to meet for worship in the homes of two brothers; Plutarco and Juan de la Vina.

1915 – A 30 member congregation moves out of the homes and begins worshiping at El Teatro de Edinburgo.  It was during this time that the congregation was organized as the United Methodist congregation and it took the name El Buen Pastor.

1919 – The property where the church now stands was purchased by Plutarco de la Vina and donated to the church.   

1920 – A wooden structure was placed on the property and used for worship.

1928 – The 55 member congregation outgrew the building and built a second wood framed sanctuary.

1949 – The 80 member congregation developed a visionary plan to build a new sanctuary with a seating capacity of 340.  One member is remembered for having said … “This sanctuary will one day be filled.”

1962 – The Annex was built to provide a place for the congregation to enjoy fellowship and to hold Bible study classes for all ages.

TODAY – El Buen Pastor is a strong, dynamic 875 member church with over 200 persons weekly in worship and Bible study. 

  May 2018  
SMTWTFS
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
     
This Week's Events
Bible Search
Contents © 2018 El Buen Pastor United Methodist Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy